Wisdom from B&N
• Need BISAC metadata on titles asap (150-180 days before pub)
• 58% of UP publishers are late on the pub date (means we’re misinforming and disappointing our customers)
• Titles “fall off the web” because data is gone—no availability date, no list price, no pre-orders = reduced sales
• 36.4% of 1.5 million titles has no value-added metadata such as commentary, key words, and so forth
• 30.5% of 1.5 million titles are missing covers
• Sales increase 60.5% when you add a cover
Presses should make sure there is a cover for every publication they sell on the Web and BISAC metadata be exported on titles at least five months before the publish date.